Temporary residence and visa requirements

EU citizens do not need a visa to come to study in Poland. They can enter Poland with a valid ID document (e.g. a passport or any other document certifying one’s identity and citizenship). For a stay up to 3 months, no legalization of stay is necessary. To stay longer than 3 months, students have to legalize the stay by applying for a temporary residence permit (karta pobytu). The permit is issued for the period of stay in Poland, no longer than 2 years. In the case of students, the residence permit is issued usually for 1 year. One can obtain the permit from the Department of Citizen Affairs and Migrations of the Provincial Office. The charge for issuing the residence permit is 50 zloty (about 13 euro). The Provincial Office is located in Gorzów Wielkopolski. Our Department of International Cooperation offers assistance in completing all formalities.

Documents that have to be submitted by the student to the Provincial Office in order to obtain the residence permit include:

  • a copy of the travel document (a passport) or an ID document
  • a health insurance document
  • an official letter confirming the student status or the letter of acceptance to another exchange or scholarship programme from the host university (with information about the period of study) – IN POLISH!
  • a declaration about sufficient resources to cover the subsistence costs in Poland
  • 2 photographs (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm) with the left ear uncovered
  • a document confirming residence at a dormitory
  • an application form (to be obtained at the Provincial Office).

Citizens of EEA countries are subject to the same conditions as EU citizens. Citizens of Switzerland can enter Poland only on the basis of a valid passport.

Non-EU citizens can enter the territory of Poland on the basis of a valid travel document (a passport) and a visa. They can obtain the Polish visa from a Polish embassy or consulate in the country of residence. A short-term visa entitles the holder to stay in Poland for up to 3 months, a long-term visa – up to 1 year. Students coming for a period of study longer than 3 months are therefore obliged to apply for a visa in a consulate or embassy for the whole planned period of stay in Poland. The prolongation of a visa in Poland is only possible in case of situations impossible to foresee while applying for the visa in the consulate. The visa can be prolonged only once. Students who have received a visa for the whole period of stay in Poland are not obliged to apply for a residence permit for their stay in Poland.