Health insurance and medical care

Health insurance is mandatory for all students for the entire duration of their stay in Poland. EU citizens staying temporarily in Poland are entitled to free health care (on the basis of the E-111 form issued in the home country; the European Health Insurance Card; in particular cases – on the basis of a special certificate). International students are obliged to present one of these documents together with an identity document directly to the health care provider. If they use the E-111 form, after the arrival it is necessary to contact the local division of the National Health Found (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia, NFZ). There international students have to present the insurance document on the basis of which there will be issued confirmation that they have the right to medical assistance in Poland (potwierdzenie prawa do świadczeń zdrowotnych na terenie Polski). This document includes also a list of medical services available to its holder. Non-EU citizens should purchase health insurance in the home country before the departure. In the case of the ISIC or EURO < 26 cards, insurance is included in the card and it is not necessary to buy another one unless one wants to increase its scope or value.

Anyway, according to state health regulations, foreigners have to pay for a medical consultation. The cost is then reimbursed by the health insurance company.

There is no academic health center at our University. In case a student needs medical assistance, he/she will find full services at any medical or health care centre that has concluded a relevant contract with the National Health Found.